Sunday, April 2, 2017

Lion or A Long Way Home by Saroo Brierley


LionLion by Saroo Brierley
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

As soon as I saw the movie a month or so ago, I knew I would have to read the book. This is an extraordinary story and deserving of a film adaptation. But the film left many questions unanswered and so I wanted to get the book as quickly as possible. It's a very easy read and yes - it has a map of India - which I referred to numerous times.

For anyone who has ever lost a child - even if only for a few minutes - the story is a bit like your worst nightmare only with a very happy ending. Who could want more than that? And it doesn't matter that you know the ending really because the journey as they say, is always the interesting bit.

As a family historian I loved this story from so many angles - the research, the obsession with finding family/identity, the love of parents and of good citizens who understand that it takes a village to raise a child and who wanted to look after those most vulnerable in society. Thank goodness for the Brierleys and all those who care for "lost" children. What special people they are and how lucky we are to have them in our world.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

GeniAus said...

Thanks Alex. I loved the movie - sounds like I should read the book.